Paragon Darby Dipper Crucible Kiln
- Free Shipping
- Kiln Shipping
|At no extra charge you can order your new kiln in one of the custom colors below instead of the standard blue or black!
Please note: colors may vary slightly.
The Darby Dipper Crucible Kiln
The Darby Dipper glass blower’s kiln will give you the freedom to enjoy crucible firing in a small space. Mix your own custom glass colors. Make paperweights, blown vessels, stringers, and much more. Imagine pulling your own neon tubing in this affordable kiln.
Crucible Cover, Extra Insulation, Recessed Grooves, K-25 Firebricks
The firebrick top is held in place with two spring latches. (For easy replacement, the top does not have a hinge.) Access the crucible through a 6” hole in the firebrick top. A firebrick crucible cover is placed over the 6” hole. The cover has a wooden handle, stainless steel band, and a 1/2” lip that fits into the crucible hole.
The Darby Dipper’s walls, top, and bottom are made of 3” high temperature K-25 firebricks. These bricks are 20% thicker than standard 2 1/2” firebricks and designed for prolonged high temperature holds. For extra insulation, the walls are wrapped with a ceramic fiber blanket, which is behind the stainless steel case. With the extra insulation and heavy-duty elements, the Darby Dipper is reliable even during very long heat soaks. For easy maintenance, tighten the stainless steel top band and kiln case with the case adjustment screws.
The heating elements are seated and protected in dropped, recessed sidewall grooves. The built-in stand comes with mar-proof plastic feet and provides the firebrick bottom with a full layer of sheet metal support.
The Darby Dipper comes with a mechanical relay, which sends power from the controller to the elements. You can order the optional deluxe mercury relay; it lasts much longer than the mechanical relay. We recommend the mercury relay for crucible kilns that will see heavy use. Scroll down past the kiln specifications for more information.
The deluxe S-Type platinum thermocouple with ceramic protection tube is standard on the Darby Dipper kiln. This deluxe thermocouple, usually found on large, expensive kilns, far outlasts the standard K-Type.
A Convenient Digital Controller
The Darby Dipper includes the Sentry Xpress digital controller. Because of the extended holds at high temperatures, the controller is in a separate wall-mounted panel. This keeps the controller away from the heat for longer life. The control panel is attached to the kiln with 6’ cables. The Sentry Xpress is user friendly and comes with a detailed instruction manual. For easy reference, place the Quick Start Guide near the kiln.
Program the digital controller for the exact consistency of glass melt that you need. Enjoy predictable, repeatable results. A pilot light glows when the elements turn on. The kiln comes with a one-year warranty. (Please note: Due to the long firing cycles of a crucible kiln, the warranty does not cover the heating elements.)
Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller Features
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide
- Quality Components
Wires are fastened to the elements with heat-dissipating connectors refined and proven over many years in Paragon kilns. Elements are coiled from the finest high-temperature wire available. The Darby Dipper control box is finished in a durable high temperature, water-base blue paint, which releases low emissions in the factory during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
And, of course, the glass blower’s Darby Dipper furnace is made in America by skilled workers. Many of them have been with Paragon for over a decade. Paragon is proud to be an employee-focused company.
Darby Dipper Features
- Deluxe S-Type platinum thermocouple
- Sentry Xpress digital controller
- 6” crucible hole with firebrick cover
- 3” thick firebricks in the top, walls, and bottom
- Ceramic fiber insulation behind the firebrick walls
- Stainless steel case tighteners for easy maintenance
- Dropped, recessed element grooves
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
|Amperage 240 Volts
|For electrical specifications other than 120 Volt, Single Phase please visit www.paragonweb.com
|Circuit Copper Wire Size
|TUV Tested to CSA and UL Standard 499
|Important: Some areas such as Canada and Europe require a lid or door safety switch on kilns. If you would like more information please contact us.
|Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-Key
|Top Loading Square
|Chamber Volume (Cubic Feet)
|Chamber Size (Length x Width x Depth in inches)
7.5L x 7.5W x 9D
|The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom
|15.00W x 18.75D x 22.5H Inches
|27.00W x 27.00D x 23.00H Inches
|Ship Method & Notes
|This Kiln Ships Via UPS.
Options and AccessoriesMercury Relay Upgrade TF-26
Order your new kiln with the factory installed mercury relay upgrade. The mercury relay is quiet and reliable. The life of a mercury relay has been measured in millions of on/off cycles. Mercury relays outlast the standard mechanical relays and are available as an option on new kilns. Small Crucible for Trifecta and Vulcan
Crucible, 6" wide x 7" high (outer dimensions). Holds 8 - 10 pounds of boro glass or 10 - 12 pounds of soft glass. Shipping Weight: 12.00 Lbs. ( 5.44 Kg.)
This item qualifies for our free shipping program!
To make sure your order ships free please follow these simple steps.
Want to have your order shipped?
1. Select "Free Shipping" on the shipping method page.
2. That's it!
Want to pickup your order?
If your order qualifies for free shipping but you would rather pick it up in our St. Louis retail store you are welcome to. Just follow these steps.
1. Select "Pick up" on the shipping method page.
2. When your order is ready to pickup we will email or text you.
3. That's it!
Important Information about free shipping
If you are located within our local delivery area (125 miles from our location) we will most likely delivery your order using one of our two delivery trucks. We will contact you to schedule a delivery time.
Kiln Shipping Information
The most important thing to remember is that almost all kilns ship for FREE to the contiguous United States. If you need a kiln shipped outside of the lower 48 please contact us by phone at 314-963-0180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a freight quote.
You probably realize that kilns can be very heavy and you may be nervous about ordering one online and having it shipped, but we will help you make the process smooth and easy.
Most kilns ship on a truck rather than by UPS, but don't worry, because just like a UPS shipment we handle all the paperwork and logistics.
Receiving a Kiln
Kilns are shipped on wooden pallets or crated in wooden boxes and delivery by a trucking company does not include unpacking the kiln, moving it into your building or hauling away any packing materials. If your kiln is being delivered to a residential location or a location without a loading dock we will request a lift gate so the kiln can be removed from the truck and placed on level ground. When the truck arrives the driver will unload the kiln and move it on the pallet or crate to a location near the truck. Most drivers are accommodating and will place the kiln in a reasonable location at your request BUT trucking companies are only required to unload the kiln from their truck so you should have a plan in place to move it to the final location. All kilns come with instructions on how to unpack and move your new kiln. For residential deliveries freight companies will schedule a delivery window with you in advance so you can be prepared to move your kiln to the final location.
Kiln Inspection and Damage
- It is YOUR responsibility to inspect merchandise prior to the delivery agent's departure. Inspecting your shipment includes checking for missing items as well as looking for damage to the items and the packaging. We have a signed BOL (Bill of Lading) stating that the shipment left our warehouse complete and in good condition so it is critical you inspect BEFORE signing for receipt. If you sign the receipt without a note indicating damage and/or missing items it is VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for us to file a claim on your behalf.
- If the merchandise OR packaging appears to be damaged in any way, please note the damage on the freight bill and retain a copy (a photo of the paperwork is fine). This will aid in the return/replacement process. In the case of damage you may refuse the delivery. If you do this you must contact us immediately so we can work with the carrier to resolve the issue.
- If damage is discovered after the driver has left, contact us IMMEDIATELY. If you do not contact us within 5 days damage claims CANNOT be made with the carrier and you will be responsible for repair costs. As long as damage is reported to us within 5 days we can file a claim to get it repaired. For this reason it is critical you open and inspect all freight deliveries before the window closes.
When you buy a kiln from Krueger Pottery Supply and you live within 150 miles of our location in St. Louis or staff typically delivers your kiln on one of our delivery trucks. Our staff will unpack your kiln and set it up in your building. We are not licensed electricians so we cannot do any electrical work on your home or businesses electrical system to install a kiln. Consult a qualified electrician to have a circuit run or check your existing configuration. We will also haul away all trash and packaging at your request. Cardboard and packaging are recycled if at all possible.