- Free Shipping
|At no extra charge you can order your new kiln in one of the custom colors below instead of the standard blue or black! |
Please note: colors may vary slightly.
Paragon SC-2 Silver & Glass Kiln with Window
Ideal for Teachers
“I have traveled with my SC-2 for 11 years. I sometimes have to use welding gloves to put the warm kiln on a cart, take it outside, load it in the car, and wrap it in a wool blanket.
“I have traveled out of state with my SC-2 repeatedly. Fired it over and over again in class, burned up all manner of skewers, toothpicks, cork clay and more. The kiln can take it! While I'm sure the kiln wouldn't mind an easier life, it's doing fine.” –Elaine Luther of River Forest, Illinois, USA
Exciting Projects You Can Make
The heat of the kiln is magical and offers wonderful surprises. Stained glass, enamels, and ceramic glazes undergo a complete transformation in the kiln. You will never outgrow the joy of opening a kiln to view your treasures. Try screen printing on glass, glass decals, painting with frit and stringers, glass pendants, dichroic glass . . . the list goes on and on.
You can try the amazing Art Clay Silver, PMC silver clay, and even glass clay. Shape these clays with simple tools and fire them in the kiln. The digital SC-2 kiln fires china paint, enameling, and glass in minutes. Fire up to 2000°F. The SC-2 is popular with seminar teachers because it fires fast, plugs into a standard household outlet, ships by UPS, and is easy to sell. The SC-2 is popular in art centers, colleges, craft classes, and even engineering laboratories.
Easy to Fire
The SC-2 can hold three shelves of silver clay yet is portable enough to take with you to classes. Program the firing schedule that is perfect for your projects. You are not stuck with preset programs. The programmer turns itself off after the firing is completed. (Please note, however, that you should be near the kiln at the expected shutoff time.) the SC-2 is great in classrooms because the elements are embedded in ceramic fiber.
Even Heat Distribution
The current SC-2 kiln has two separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element. Extensive testing shows that the heat distribution in the new SC-2 is more even throughout the firing chamber, because heat does not build up in the back of the kiln.
Affordable, Easy to Program
The SC-2, for a digital kiln, is surprisingly affordable and made in America. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time.
The ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the layer of air between it and the inner case. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
The fast firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell. Each SC-2 includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf.
Glass View Port
Watch the bright red kiln interior through the SC-2’s 2” x 2” glass view port. (Note: always wear green #3 firing safety glasses when viewing the kiln interior.) The glass view port is guaranteed up to 2300°F.
Paige Litfin of Culver City, California said, “I have the SC-2 with window, and I do enameling and metal clay. Since I am new to enameling, I couldn't live without the window. I do use a timer and try to keep good notes, but I neeeeed to look in that window.”
The view port is especially useful for glass fusing and copper enameling. Watch the glass or enameling progress through every stage of firing to the precise stage you desire.
- On/off toggle switch
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
- Improved heat distribution
- Door opens 180 degrees for easy loading
- The case is slotted for air circulation
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times
- The embedded element heats from the two sides for superior heat distribution
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
- Colorful 28-page kiln instruction manual (In addition, the kiln also comes with a separate controller manual.)
The Amazing Digital Controller
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Non-Ceramic Paragon Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual (separate from the kiln manual). Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide to place near your kiln as a handy reference
The SC-2 can ship by UPS for lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
|Max. Temperature||2000° F |
|Amperage 120 Volts||12|
|For electrical specifications other than 120 Volt, Single Phase please visit www.paragonweb.com|
|Receptacle Type||NEMA 5-15R|
|Circuit Copper Wire Size||14 Gauge|
|TUV Tested to CSA and UL Standard 499||YES|
|Important: Some areas such as Canada and Europe require a lid or door safety switch on kilns. If you would like more information please contact us.|
|Control Type||Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-Key|
|Kiln Type||Front Loading Square|
|Chamber Volume (Cubic Feet)||.21|
|Chamber Size (Length x Width x Depth in inches)|| |
8W x 7.75D X 5.75H
|The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom||13.25W x 14D x 15.5H Inches |
|Ship Size||21.5W x 18.75D x 16.5H Inches|
|Ship Weight||36 lbs.|
|Ship Method & Notes||This Kiln Ships Via UPS.|
Options and Accessories
Recommended furniture kit (also called a shelf kit) for the SC-2 and SC-3 kilns. Paragon's durable cordierite shelves resist warpage and thermal shock.
1 C-7 (7" x 7" x 5/8" hard ceramic shelf)
4 - 1/2" long, 1" wide Square Posts
1 - 6" x 6" ceramic fiber shelf
Shipping Weight: 1.00 Lbs. ( 0.45 Kg.)
This item qualifies for our free shipping program!
To make sure your order ships free please follow these simple steps.
Want to have your order shipped?
1. Select "Free Shipping" on the shipping method page.
2. That's it!
Want to pickup your order?
If your order qualifies for free shipping but you would rather pick it up in our St. Louis retail store you are welcome to. Just follow these steps.
1. Select "Pick up" on the shipping method page.
2. When your order is ready to pickup we will email or text you.
3. That's it!
Important Information about free shipping
If you are located within our local delivery area (125 miles from our location) we will most likely delivery your order using one of our two delivery trucks. We will contact you to schedule a delivery time.