- Free Shipping
- Kiln Shipping
|At no extra charge you can order your new kiln in one of the custom colors below instead of the standard blue or black! |
Please note: colors may vary slightly.
The 3" wall Xpress-1613-3 kiln is designed for porcelain, so it easily fires ceramics, china paint, decals, and gold. The size is ideal for teachers of china paint or dolls. The 8-sided, 16 ½” wide and 13 ¼” deep interior is as tall as standard 7-sided kilns. The Xpress-1613-3 kiln is 43% larger than the 66-3 series, yet costs only a few dollars more.
The Xpress-1613-3 plugs into a 30 amp, 240 volt outlet. (The kiln is also available for international electrical systems.) It uses 6400 watts of power, more watts per cubic foot than conventional kilns. The extra wattage helps compensate for aging elements or low voltage. This extra power is ample for cone 10 and, if desired, rapid heating. Elements last longer, because the extra wattage and thicker 3" firebricks help the elements reach porcelain temperatures without strain.
Wires are fastened to the elements with heat-dissipating connectors refined and proven over many years in Paragon kilns. Elements are seated in dropped, recessed brick grooves. Costly heavy-gauge nickel-plated copper wiring is covered with high temperature glass-braided insulation. The thermocouple, which senses temperature inside the kiln, is protected with a high-nickel stainless steel sheath for long life. A switch on the front panel turns off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use. The controller is mounted near the top of the switch box for easy access.
The peepholes, both sides of the lid and top rim of sidewall firebrick are hardened and sealed with a special refractory coating to protect the ware from dust.
The heavy gauge stainless steel case is cold-rolled to the shape of the kiln for a tight fit. A heavy galvanized steel base covers the reversible brick bottom completely. It folds up under the stainless case on all sides to strengthen the firing chamber. This is one more assurance that your Paragon kiln is built to last.
A kiln stand is included at no extra charge. The stand is complete with mar-proof plastic feet and tall enough to accommodate the optional Orton Vent Master.
The Xpress-1613-3 is proudly made in America to exacting standards. The switch box has a durable high temperature, water-base finish. We chose water-base paint because of the low emissions during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
Features of the Xpress-1613-3
- Long-life electrical system
- Lock-in lid support with a positive catch
- Wide-view tapered peepholes
- Ventilated, louvered switch box
- Two hand lifts
- Heavy duty kiln stand with mar-proof plastic feet accommodates optional Orton KilnVent
- Full-formed, galvanized steel base
- Fall-away two stage Prop-R-Vent
- Coated lid, peepholes and rim of firebricks
- Heavy gauge stainless steel case
- Reversible brick bottom
- Dropped, recessed brick grooves, which eliminate element pins
The Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. The controller fires in Cone-Fire and 8-segment Ramp-Hold modes.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller for Ceramic Kilns
- Fire to a pyrometric cone by merely entering cone number and slow, medium or fast speed.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Set the alarm to remind yourself to close a vented lid.
- Design Ramp-Hold programs with up to 8 segments (steps).
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Cone-Fire and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
|Max. Temperature||2350° F |
|Amperage 240 Volts||27|
|For electrical specifications other than 240 Volt, Single Phase please visit www.paragonweb.com|
|Receptacle Type||NEMA 6-30|
|Circuit Copper Wire Size||10 Gauge|
|TUV Tested to CSA and UL Standard 499||Yes|
|Important: Some areas such as Canada and Europe require a lid or door safety switch on kilns. If you would like more information please contact us.|
|Control Type||Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-key|
|Kiln Type||Top Loading Round|
|Chamber Volume (Cubic Feet)||1.75|
|The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom|| |
25.50W x 28.50D x 29.00H Inches
The external kiln height includes a 9.5" tall stand.
|Ship Size||30.50W x 30.50D x 27.00H Inches|
|Ship Weight||171 lbs.|
|Ship Method & Notes||This Kiln Ships Via Truck.|
Options and Accessories
Recommended furniture kit for the Paragon Janus-1613, Xpress-1613-3, TnF-1613, and equivalent sized kilns. Included:
2 C-18 Shelves (15” round x 5/8”)
1 C-18 Half Shelf (15” round x 5/8” half)
1" Square Posts, 3 each – 1/2”, 1”, 2”, 3”, 4”, 6”
1 lb. Bag Kiln Wash
Shipping size: 19” long x 18” wide x 7” high
Ware is fired on shelves that are separated by posts so you can fire multiple layers of ware in your kiln. Coat the shelves with kiln wash, which prevents glaze or glass from sticking to the shelves.
The optional lid or door safety switch turns off power to the heating elements when the lid is raised or door is opened. The controller remains powered. The switch turns the power to the elements back on when the lid is closed. The switch mounts to the back of the lid or front of the door. IMPORTANT: The lid or door safety switch is required in some areas such as Canada and Europe. Orton Ventmaster, Not Installed KILNVENT MASTER 120V M9 VENT MASTER (Installed after the kiln is set up) The patented Orton Vent Master not only vents fumes but also improves firing results.
It pulls fresh oxygen into the kiln for brighter colors, especially noticeable with red and orange glazes and decals. Fire red and green glazes in the same load without glaze contamination. The Vent Master draws air from the kiln, dilutes it with room air, and pushes it outdoors through a vent hose.
The Vent Master removes fumes containing volatile metals, fluorides and sulphur oxides. You can fire even lusters, decals, metallics, and pate-de-verre glass without strong odor.
The flow of fresh air helps even out the temperature throughout the kiln. The vent also extends the life of the Kiln Sitter tube assembly, since fumes by-pass the tube. You will enjoy the convenience of the Vent Master. Throughout the firing, keep the lid closed and peephole plugs inserted. You no longer need to remember to lower the hot lid from vented position.
The Vent Master increases firing time by about five minutes for firings up to cone 4; 12 minutes for firings from cone 4 to 10. It has little effect on maximum temperature. At 132 watts, electrical consumption of the Vent Master motor is only pennies per firing.
From the shut-off temperature down to 1000°F, the Vent Master has little effect on cooling time. From 1000°F to room temperature, it reduces cooling time by about two hours.
As with Paragon kilns, the Orton Vent Master can be made for any electrical system in the world. Approved for use in the 1992 Uniform Mechanical Code. UL/CSA approved for UL Listed kilns. ETL Listed, CE Certified. Two year limited warranty.
Order a kiln with the Vent Master and we will drill all necessary holes at no extra charge. (Please note: kilns in stock will not be uncrated to drill the holes.) The holes are only ¼”.
The Vent Master requires a separate 120 volt wall plug unless your kiln is equipped with the AOP vent.
A 3’ long 2” duct comes with each vent. The 2” duct runs between the collection cup and the blower motor. Use 4” aluminum dryer duct or 4” PVC pipe between the motor and the vent outlet. (Do not use vinyl dryer duct.)
Position the Vent Master next to the kiln and attach the collection cup to the bottom or side of the kiln. The collection cup fits under most top-loading kilns. (Note: The kiln stand must be at least 5” high to accommodate the collection cup.) Since the vent motor is away from the kiln, there is no vibration in the kiln, the motor is kept away from the heat of the kiln, and the fan is easy to clean. The Vent Master works with all Paragon kilns except the smallest tabletop models. The Vent Master can vent two kilns. For the second kiln, order the Vent Master Expansion Kit.Auxiliary Port for Orton Vent-Master
AUXILLARY OUTPUT FOR SENTRY II CONTROLLERS (VENT CONTROL) The AOP (Auxiliary Output) is an electrical outlet mounted to the kiln. Plug either a downdraft vent or an external alarm into the AOP. Control the vent with Cone-Fire or Ramp-Hold modes. FREE Deluxe 18 inch Rolling Stand
Paragon 7-, 8-, 10-, and 12-sided top-loading ceramic and glass kilns now come with a deluxe rolling stand at no extra charge. The new stand has locking casters, a mounting bracket for the Orton Kiln Vent, and a greenware drying rack. You will enjoy the convenience of effortlessly moving the kiln out of the way when not in use.
The ceramic kiln deluxe stands are 12” high, and the glass kiln deluxe stands are 18” high. The stands include assembly instructions. The deluxe stand replaces the discontinued standard kiln stand.
The discontinued stands had four legs, four horizontal side pieces across the top, and plastic feet. The new stand has two side frames, two shelves, and four locking casters. The Ovation oval kilns will receive two stands per kiln.
The new stands slide together with slots that line up the screw holes. To install an Orton Kiln Vent, slide the collection cup into the vent bracket. The new stand eliminates the need for the collection cup mounting bolt.
Take advantage of the heat that radiates from the kiln. Load greenware on the lower shelf. Heat from the kiln will dry the ware and prepare it for the next firing. Save the time and expense of drying the ware inside the kiln. Type S Thermocouple Upgrade for Single Zone
Optional Type-S premium-grade thermocouple for single-zone 2 1/2" - 3" wall kilns. Ideal for firings above cone 4. It is extremely long lasting even at stoneware temperatures. (This price is for the thermocouple that is factory-installed on your new kiln.)
This item qualifies for our free shipping program!
To make sure your order ships free please follow these simple steps.
Want to have your order shipped?
1. Select "Free Shipping" on the shipping method page.
2. That's it!
Want to pickup your order?
If your order qualifies for free shipping but you would rather pick it up in our St. Louis retail store you are welcome to. Just follow these steps.
1. Select "Pick up" on the shipping method page.
2. When your order is ready to pickup we will email or text you.
3. That's it!
Important Information about free shipping
If you are located within our local delivery area (125 miles from our location) we will most likely delivery your order using one of our two delivery trucks. We will contact you to schedule a delivery time.
Kiln Shipping Information
The most important thing to remember is that almost all kilns ship for FREE to the contiguous United States. If you need a kiln shipped outside of the lower 48 please contact us by phone at 314-963-0180 or email email@example.com to obtain a freight quote.
You probably realize that kilns can be very heavy and you may be nervous about ordering one online and having it shipped, but we will help you make the process smooth and easy.
Most kilns ship on a truck rather than by UPS, but don't worry, because just like a UPS shipment we handle all the paperwork and logistics.
Receiving a Kiln
Kilns are shipped on wooden pallets or crated in wooden boxes and delivery by a trucking company does not include unpacking the kiln, moving it into your building or hauling away any packing materials. If your kiln is being delivered to a residential location or a location without a loading dock we will request a lift gate so the kiln can be removed from the truck and placed on level ground. When the truck arrives the driver will unload the kiln and move it on the pallet or crate to a location near the truck. Most drivers are accommodating and will place the kiln in a reasonable location at your request BUT trucking companies are only required to unload the kiln from their truck so you should have a plan in place to move it to the final location. All kilns come with instructions on how to unpack and move your new kiln. For residential deliveries freight companies will schedule a delivery window with you in advance so you can be prepared to move your kiln to the final location.
Kiln Inspection and Damage
- It is YOUR responsibility to inspect merchandise prior to the delivery agent's departure. Inspecting your shipment includes checking for missing items as well as looking for damage to the items and the packaging. We have a signed BOL (Bill of Lading) stating that the shipment left our warehouse complete and in good condition so it is critical you inspect BEFORE signing for receipt. If you sign the receipt without a note indicating damage and/or missing items it is VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for us to file a claim on your behalf.
- If the merchandise OR packaging appears to be damaged in any way, please note the damage on the freight bill and retain a copy (a photo of the paperwork is fine). This will aid in the return/replacement process. In the case of damage you may refuse the delivery. If you do this you must contact us immediately so we can work with the carrier to resolve the issue.
- If damage is discovered after the driver has left, contact us IMMEDIATELY. If you do not contact us within 5 days damage claims CANNOT be made with the carrier and you will be responsible for repair costs. As long as damage is reported to us within 5 days we can file a claim to get it repaired. For this reason it is critical you open and inspect all freight deliveries before the window closes.
When you buy a kiln from Krueger Pottery Supply and you live within 150 miles of our location in St. Louis or staff typically delivers your kiln on one of our delivery trucks. Our staff will unpack your kiln and set it up in your building. We are not licensed electricians so we cannot do any electrical work on your home or businesses electrical system to install a kiln. Consult a qualified electrician to have a circuit run or check your existing configuration. We will also haul away all trash and packaging at your request. Cardboard and packaging are recycled if at all possible.