Paragon CS-16D Kiln
- Free Shipping
- Kiln Shipping
|At no extra charge you can order your new kiln in one of the custom colors below instead of the standard blue or black! |
Please note: colors may vary slightly.
Paragon CS-16D Glass Fusing Kiln
Paragon’s square CS-16D digital glass clamshell kiln is easy to load, because the top lifts out of the way. The 16” x 16” interior costs only a little more than a standard 14” x 14” clamshell kiln, yet the CS-16D is 20 percent larger--and it fires on a 120 volt, 20 amp outlet.
Explore the wonderful world of fusing by making glass murals, small glass bowls, pendants, earrings, cufflinks, and even bracelets. Try out the newest glass techniques that you see in magazines or classes. Enjoy glittering dichroic glass. Make gifts that your friends will treasure. When you own an innovative Paragon CS-16D clamshell, you can experiment with glass fusing to your heart’s content. The possibilities are endless. Find rejuvenation at the end of a long work by creating artwork in your own kiln.
The CS-16D heats from the top for even heat distribution across the glass surface. The lid elements are mounted in pinless element grooves. Element pins are no longer needed because the element coils are wider than the groove opening. This innovation idea helps eliminate dust inside the kiln.
Kiln Lifts Out of the Way for Hassle-Free Loading
The kiln lifts up and out of the way so you can assemble glass pieces inside the kiln directly onto a shelf. Add stringers and frit to delicate designs. When the kiln is full, lower the kiln over the shelf. Imagine how easy that is.
The kiln is easy to open because of three counter-weight springs mounted under the kiln. The kiln base extends 4” in the back to support the weight of the kiln when in the open position. The base comes with mar-proof rubber feet.
The CS-16D is dual-opening: You can open the kiln by lifting the kiln body or by lifting only the lid. Lift the kiln body out of the way to assemble glass directly on the shelf; open the lid to load glass over a slumping mold.
The CS-16D can be opened by lifting the kiln body or the kiln lid, but never both at the same time. The kiln is equipped with safety latches on the side. The gravity-operated top latch holds the lid closed; the lever-operated bottom latch holds the kiln body closed.
Protective Steel Lid Cover
The top of the lid is protected with a painted sheetmetal cover. The sheetmetal is bent to cover the sides of the lid and then welded at the corners. You will be amazed at the sturdy construction that has made Paragon kilns renowned among glass fusers. The self-adjusting lid floats at fusing temperatures.
Optional Ceramic Fiber Top
The standard CS-16D comes with an insulating firebrick top. You can also upgrade your kiln with the optional deluxe ceramic fiber top, which has the same type of pinless groove as the standard top. The fiber top helps keep the kiln interior even cleaner.
Reliability at the Heart of the Kiln
The CS-16D has a two-year warranty. The temperature sensor, called a thermocouple, is protected with a high-nickel stainless steel cover for long life. A heavy steel base supports the reversible brick bottom completely. These features are extra assurance that your Paragon kiln is built to last. No extra stand is needed.
The reliable CS-16D has dual mechanical relays for long life. The digital controller sends a signal to the relays to turn on the heating elements. The two relays in the CS-16D last longer than the single relay of competitive kilns because of the reduced amperage going through each relay.
For your convenience, flip the switch on the front panel to turn off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use. The large, comfortable wooden lid and kiln handles stay cool.
The CS-16D is painted with a durable high temperature, water-base finish. We chose water-base paint because of the low emissions during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
Note: The bead door and high-temperature glass window are not available on the CS-16D. However, they are available on the CS-16S.
The Ease of Digital Firing
You will be amazed at the convenience of digital firing. The reliable solid-state Sentry Xpress controller continually monitors the firing so you do not need to closely watch the kiln. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln occasionally during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) You can try out a demonstration of the controller on your computer by clicking here.
Paragon’s innovative controller will help you achieve consistent results from one firing to the next. The controller has powerful features that you will enjoy using. Yet the controller is also easy to learn. It comes with an instruction manual and Quick Start card.
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. Control both heating and cooling with simple 3-key operation.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon CS-series Kilns
- Program up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in Single Speed mode.
- Store up to 4 programs in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold without having to stop the kiln to reprogram. (For instance, you want to skip to the annealing segment.)
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the firing to reprogram.
- Easily control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Program an alarm that will remind you to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln at a time that best suits your busy schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review all the controller features in more detail.
Paragon kilns are made in America to exacting standards.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
|Max. Temperature||1700° F |
|Amperage 120 Volts||20|
|For electrical specifications other than 240 Volt, Single Phase please visit www.paragonweb.com|
|Receptacle Type||NEMA 5-20R|
|Circuit Copper Wire Size||12 Gauge|
|TUV Tested to CSA and UL Standard 499||Yes|
|Important: Some areas such as Canada and Europe require a lid or door safety switch on kilns. If you would like more information please contact us.|
|Control Type||Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-key|
|Kiln Type||Top Loading Square|
|Chamber Volume (Cubic Feet)||.96|
|Chamber Size (Length x Width x Depth in inches)|| |
16W x 16L x 6.5D
|The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom||30W x 30D x 15H Inches |
|Ship Size||36W x 32D x 24H Inches|
|Ship Weight||186 lbs.|
|Ship Method & Notes||This Kiln Ships Via Truck.|
Options and Accessories
Glass must be fired on a ceramic shelf; never directly on the kiln firing chamber bottom.
1 – 14” x 15” x 5/8” Shelf
4 - 1” wide Square Posts, ½” long
1 lb. Bag Glass Separator
Glass is fired in the kiln on a shelf. Coat the shelf with glass separator to prevent the glass from sticking to the shelf. Place short posts between the shelf and the kiln bottom to circulate heat around the shelf.
Paragon’s durable cordierite shelves resist warpage and thermal shock. They are volume-stable. (Note: The photo shows a general assortment of furniture rather than the exact contents of this shelf kit.)
Lid or Door Safety Switch
The optional lid or door safety switch turns off power to the heating elements when the lid is raised or door is opened. The controller remains powered. The switch turns the power to the elements back on when the lid is closed. The switch mounts to the back of the lid or front of the door. IMPORTANT: The lid or door safety switch is required in some areas such as Canada and Europe. Fusion Fiber Lid
The Fusion-series glass kilns can be ordered with an optional ceramic fiber top in place of the firebrick top. Serious glass artists have long requested the fiber top for their firebrick kilns. The ceramic fiber lid includes a deluxe brushed stainless steel outer lid cover. (The photo shows the Fusion-8 but represents all Fusion models. Note: The price is only for a fiber lid ordered with a new kiln.
This item qualifies for our free shipping program!
To make sure your order ships free please follow these simple steps.
Want to have your order shipped?
1. Select "Free Shipping" on the shipping method page.
2. That's it!
Want to pickup your order?
If your order qualifies for free shipping but you would rather pick it up in our St. Louis retail store you are welcome to. Just follow these steps.
1. Select "Pick up" on the shipping method page.
2. When your order is ready to pickup we will email or text you.
3. That's it!
Important Information about free shipping
If you are located within our local delivery area (125 miles from our location) we will most likely delivery your order using one of our two delivery trucks. We will contact you to schedule a delivery time.
Kiln Shipping Information
The most important thing to remember is that almost all kilns ship for FREE to the contiguous United States. If you need a kiln shipped outside of the lower 48 please contact us by phone at 314-963-0180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a freight quote.
You probably realize that kilns can be very heavy and you may be nervous about ordering one online and having it shipped, but we will help you make the process smooth and easy.
Most kilns ship on a truck rather than by UPS, but don't worry, because just like a UPS shipment we handle all the paperwork and logistics.
Receiving a Kiln
Kilns are shipped on wooden pallets or crated in wooden boxes and delivery by a trucking company does not include unpacking the kiln, moving it into your building or hauling away any packing materials. If your kiln is being delivered to a residential location or a location without a loading dock we will request a lift gate so the kiln can be removed from the truck and placed on level ground. When the truck arrives the driver will unload the kiln and move it on the pallet or crate to a location near the truck. Most drivers are accommodating and will place the kiln in a reasonable location at your request BUT trucking companies are only required to unload the kiln from their truck so you should have a plan in place to move it to the final location. All kilns come with instructions on how to unpack and move your new kiln. For residential deliveries freight companies will schedule a delivery window with you in advance so you can be prepared to move your kiln to the final location.
Kiln Inspection and Damage
- It is YOUR responsibility to inspect merchandise prior to the delivery agent's departure. Inspecting your shipment includes checking for missing items as well as looking for damage to the items and the packaging. We have a signed BOL (Bill of Lading) stating that the shipment left our warehouse complete and in good condition so it is critical you inspect BEFORE signing for receipt. If you sign the receipt without a note indicating damage and/or missing items it is VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for us to file a claim on your behalf.
- If the merchandise OR packaging appears to be damaged in any way, please note the damage on the freight bill and retain a copy (a photo of the paperwork is fine). This will aid in the return/replacement process. In the case of damage you may refuse the delivery. If you do this you must contact us immediately so we can work with the carrier to resolve the issue.
- If damage is discovered after the driver has left, contact us IMMEDIATELY. If you do not contact us within 5 days damage claims CANNOT be made with the carrier and you will be responsible for repair costs. As long as damage is reported to us within 5 days we can file a claim to get it repaired. For this reason it is critical you open and inspect all freight deliveries before the window closes.
When you buy a kiln from Krueger Pottery Supply and you live within 150 miles of our location in St. Louis or staff typically delivers your kiln on one of our delivery trucks. Our staff will unpack your kiln and set it up in your building. We are not licensed electricians so we cannot do any electrical work on your home or businesses electrical system to install a kiln. Consult a qualified electrician to have a circuit run or check your existing configuration. We will also haul away all trash and packaging at your request. Cardboard and packaging are recycled if at all possible.