Paragon BlueBird Annealing Kiln
- Free Shipping
- Kiln Shipping
|At no extra charge you can order your new kiln in one of the custom colors below instead of the standard blue or black! |
Please note: colors may vary slightly.
The BlueBird safely anneals glass beads to prevent breakage during cooling. The kiln, made in America to exacting standards, opens doorways of opportunity in beadmaking. Enjoy a full 20” of width with the 2” tall, 10” wide double doors. This kiln is ideal for busy seminar teachers. It is like having two kilns in one.
High-tech Ceramic Fiber
The BlueBird features high-tech ceramic fiber insulation in the roof, walls and floor. The element is embedded in the roof between layers of ceramic fiber board to reduce dust. This is a true high performance kiln you will enjoy using often.
(Note: The BlueBird kilns are fired at the Paragon factory before the outside metal is painted. This is to harden the liquid rigidizer on the ceramic fiber insulation. This may leave black or brown marks on the insulation. These marks are normal.)
Mandrel Holders, Glass Rod Warmer
Insert bead mandrels into the kiln. The mandrel ends rest outside the kiln on 3”-deep slotted stainless steel mandrel holders, cradled at two points. Adjust the height of the mandrel holders by loosening screws underneath.
We have added exciting new performance-enhancing features to the BlueBird, such as the stainless steel glass rod warmer on top of the kiln. Pre-heating glass rods saves production time.
Door Latches and Rare-Earth Magnets
Side latches hold the doors closed while the kiln is heating to annealing temperature. Phenolic knobs stay cool to the touch. Rare-earth magnets hold the doors open when needed. A safety switch on the front panel turns off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use.
Sloped Panel for Easy Operation
To save table space, the Sentry Xpress digital controller is mounted under the kiln in an ergonomic, sloped panel for easy operation. The built-in base stays cool even during extended hold times. It is slotted to dissipate heat and comes with mar-proof plastic feet.
The steel base supports the kiln in two layers. The upper steel base supports and strengthens the ceramic fiber floor; the lower steel base covers the entire kiln bottom where it rests on your worktable. Electrical components are mounted to the lower base, away from the heat of the firing chamber.
Economical to Fire
The BlueBird plugs into a standard household outlet. It draws only 1500 watts and is economical to fire. The kiln ships by convenient UPS. Specially designed cartons and vacuum-formed padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Deluxe Water-Base Paint
The BlueBird has a durable high temperature, water-base finish. Water-base paint produces low emissions during spraying, which creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
The BlueBird’s user-friendly 3-key Sentry Xpress digital controller automatically maintains the annealing temperature that you select. The controller is packed with features but is so easy to use that your child could program it. The kiln includes a Quick Start programming guide and a 16-page controller instruction manual, printed in color.
The Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. The solid-state controller continually monitors the firing so you can spend your time productively without closely watching the kiln. The sealed controller touch pad keeps out dust and wipes clean in seconds.
You will be amazed at the convenience of digital firing. The reliable solid-state Sentry Xpress controller continually monitors the firing so you do not need to closely watch the kiln. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln occasionally during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) You can try out a demonstration of the controller on your computer by clicking here.
"Daniel and I are a husband and wife team and love the fact that with the BlueBird we have plenty of space for our beads when working together in the studio. Wonderful kiln!" -- Jenelle Aubade of SFD Glass Studio in Fayetteville, North Carolina. You can download a free copy of a lampworking bead tutorial. Click here.
Features of the BlueBird
- digital Sentry Xpress controller
- 2 - 10” wide x 2” high doors
- adjustable 3”-deep slotted stainless steel mandrel holders
- stainless steel glass rod warmer
- Door latches hold the doors closed; rare-earth magnets hold the doors open
- 6” deep firing chamber (measured with doors closed)
- Ceramic fiber roof, walls, and floor
- Embedded roof element
- 1”-thick ceramic fiber doors
- Mandrel holders with 20 slots
- 1200°F maximum temperature
- Mar-proof plastic feet
- On-off safety switch
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon Fusion Kilns
- Program up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in Single Speed mode.
- Store up to 4 programs in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold without having to stop the kiln to reprogram. (For instance, you want to skip to the annealing segment.)
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the firing to reprogram.
- Easily control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Program an alarm that will remind you to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln at a time that best suits your busy schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review all the controller features in more detail.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
|Max. Temperature||1200° F |
|Amperage 120 Volts||13|
|For electrical specifications other than 240 Volt, Single Phase please visit www.paragonweb.com|
|Receptacle Type||NEMA 5-15R|
|Circuit Copper Wire Size||14 Gauge|
|TUV Tested to CSA and UL Standard 499||No|
|Important: Some areas such as Canada and Europe require a lid or door safety switch on kilns. If you would like more information please contact us.|
|Control Type||Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3 Key|
|Kiln Type||Front Loading Square|
|Chamber Volume (Cubic Feet)||.19|
|Chamber Size (Length x Width x Depth in inches)|| |
20W x 2.75H x 6D
|The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom||27W x 15.25D x 14.5H Inches |
|Ship Size||30W x 18.75D x 22H Inches|
|Ship Weight||55 lbs.|
|Ship Method & Notes||This Kiln Ships Via UPS.|
Options and Accessories
This item qualifies for our free shipping program!
To make sure your order ships free please follow these simple steps.
Want to have your order shipped?
1. Select "Free Shipping" on the shipping method page.
2. That's it!
Want to pickup your order?
If your order qualifies for free shipping but you would rather pick it up in our St. Louis retail store you are welcome to. Just follow these steps.
1. Select "Pick up" on the shipping method page.
2. When your order is ready to pickup we will email or text you.
3. That's it!
Important Information about free shipping
If you are located within our local delivery area (125 miles from our location) we will most likely delivery your order using one of our two delivery trucks. We will contact you to schedule a delivery time.
Kiln Shipping Information
The most important thing to remember is that almost all kilns ship for FREE to the contiguous United States. If you need a kiln shipped outside of the lower 48 please contact us by phone at 314-963-0180 or email email@example.com to obtain a freight quote.
You probably realize that kilns can be very heavy and you may be nervous about ordering one online and having it shipped, but we will help you make the process smooth and easy.
Most kilns ship on a truck rather than by UPS, but don't worry, because just like a UPS shipment we handle all the paperwork and logistics.
Receiving a Kiln
Kilns are shipped on wooden pallets or crated in wooden boxes and delivery by a trucking company does not include unpacking the kiln, moving it into your building or hauling away any packing materials. If your kiln is being delivered to a residential location or a location without a loading dock we will request a lift gate so the kiln can be removed from the truck and placed on level ground. When the truck arrives the driver will unload the kiln and move it on the pallet or crate to a location near the truck. Most drivers are accommodating and will place the kiln in a reasonable location at your request BUT trucking companies are only required to unload the kiln from their truck so you should have a plan in place to move it to the final location. All kilns come with instructions on how to unpack and move your new kiln. For residential deliveries freight companies will schedule a delivery window with you in advance so you can be prepared to move your kiln to the final location.
Kiln Inspection and Damage
- It is YOUR responsibility to inspect merchandise prior to the delivery agent's departure. Inspecting your shipment includes checking for missing items as well as looking for damage to the items and the packaging. We have a signed BOL (Bill of Lading) stating that the shipment left our warehouse complete and in good condition so it is critical you inspect BEFORE signing for receipt. If you sign the receipt without a note indicating damage and/or missing items it is VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for us to file a claim on your behalf.
- If the merchandise OR packaging appears to be damaged in any way, please note the damage on the freight bill and retain a copy (a photo of the paperwork is fine). This will aid in the return/replacement process. In the case of damage you may refuse the delivery. If you do this you must contact us immediately so we can work with the carrier to resolve the issue.
- If damage is discovered after the driver has left, contact us IMMEDIATELY. If you do not contact us within 5 days damage claims CANNOT be made with the carrier and you will be responsible for repair costs. As long as damage is reported to us within 5 days we can file a claim to get it repaired. For this reason it is critical you open and inspect all freight deliveries before the window closes.
When you buy a kiln from Krueger Pottery Supply and you live within 150 miles of our location in St. Louis or staff typically delivers your kiln on one of our delivery trucks. Our staff will unpack your kiln and set it up in your building. We are not licensed electricians so we cannot do any electrical work on your home or businesses electrical system to install a kiln. Consult a qualified electrician to have a circuit run or check your existing configuration. We will also haul away all trash and packaging at your request. Cardboard and packaging are recycled if at all possible.