VPM-9 Vacuum Power Wedger
Comes equipped with 110V electrical for standard service. 220V operation ($100 adder) also available for overseas operation.
Question: "When is Peter Pugger going to come up with something small for us single potter studios?"
Answer: The VPM-9 has arrived. With all the bells and whistles, and a price that competes with the standard pugmills, the VPM-9 does it all. Any clay that has not been fired can be reclaimed in the VPM-9. Broken green ware, slop, powder and water can be thrown into the pugmill and reclaimed in minutes. It is that simple.
Question: "What about those of us who strictly use porcelain? Can you provide us with a long-lasting solution to the corrosion problem?"
Answer: Introducing the new VPM-9SS (Stainless Steel) pugmill! The ultimate solution for those who can't risk contamination in their porcelain.
- Stainless Steel: Shaft, augers and paddles of stainless steel, along with aluminum mixing/pugging chamber on the standard VPM-9 model (Stainless Steel mixing/pugging chamber now available on the VPM-9SS), ensures rust-free clay processing.
- Large Hopper: The oversized hopper door allows for easy loading of up to 25 lbs. of clay per batch.
- Batch Mixing Capability: Full batch mixing and blending capability allows for moisture adjustment before pugging.
- Pugmill Output: Switch to PUG after a batch is completely mixed, and the Power Wedger unloads itself in the form of 3" diameter deaired logs.
- Vacuum Deaired: Each batch can be deaired by starting the vacuum pump when the load is mixed. Air is removed during the last stage of mixing, leaving an air-free product when pugged out. Our patented vacuum design allows us to deair the clay without the use of cumbersome vacuum screens!
- Sealed Chamber: Leaving moist clay in the Power Wedger is not a problem. All the openings are sealed so clay will stay moist indefinitely. Intellectual Mixing Technology: Real-time monitoring of clay consistency can be accomplished while mixing. Similar to an automatic transmission, the
- Pugger-Mixer can automatically speed up or slow down based on the hardness of the clay being processed. The operator can also control the speed by controlling the variable speed knob.
- Variable Speed Control: This allows the operator the ability to speed up or slow down the pugmill. This is especially useful when extruding through dies. Because of the back pressure generated by a large amount of clay being forced through a small orifice, the speed control allows the operator to slow the pugging as required. In turn, perfect deaired configurations are easily extruded through the Pugger-Mixer. There are additional advantages if you are a "single potter studio". The ability to slow the pugging allows for time to place pugged clay into containers or bags.
- Stainless Work Surface: The stainless steel work surface creates a durable work surface for convenience of the operator while loading. The work surface is 12" x 14".
- Corrosion Resistant: Peter Pugger now offers a corrosion resistant model (VPM-9SS) for potters using porcelain clay bodies with high alkalinity.
- The Power Wedger is the most versatile studio clay processing machine on the market today. It can perform a variety of functions efficiently, transforming clay in any form to a usable product.
- Some examples:
- -Mix moist clay from powder and water.
- -Reclaim scrap - wet or dry.
- -Blend two or more different bodies.
- -Add materials (wet or dry) to an already moist body.
- -Adjust moisture of an already wet body.
- -OR just mix a 25 lb. bag of clay - literally warm the clay by mixing it.
- When the clay is adequately mixed, it can be deaired with vacuum and pugged out in the form of logs ready for use.
- It is not necessary to continuously hand-feed the Power Wedger as with standard pugmills. Load a full batch, close the lid and turn it on - this eliminates exposure to moving paddles. The Power Wedger shuts off automatically when the lid is opened. All machines are equipped with a thermal overload for protection against overheating.
- VACUUM PUMP Vacuum is provided by a 1/16 HP double-headed rocking piston type diaphragm pump. These new technology pumps are the simplest and quietest vacuum source available. They are maintenance-free and long lasting. The VPM-9 Power Wedger does not require a large vacuum pump because the clay is continuously exposed to vacuum in the sealed mixing chamber. Once the clay chamber is evacuated, the vacuum pump can be turned off.
- CLEANING With the removal of four bolts, the entire mixing/pugging chamber can be removed so it can be conveniently washed off. The paddles are then easily accessed for cleaning. Cleaning is necessary only to avoid cross contamination. Since the machines are completely sealed, moist clay can be stored indefinitely without drying out.