VPM-60 Vacuum Power Wedger
- Stainless Steel: Shaft, augers and paddles of stainless steel, along with aluminum mixing/pugging chamber, ensures rust-free clay processing.
- Large Hopper: The 9" x 9" hopper door opening allows for easy loading of up to 140 lbs. of clay per batch.
- Batch Mixing Capability: Full batch mixing and blending capability allows for moisture adjustment before pugging.
- Pugmill Output: Switch to PUG after a batch is completely mixed, and the Power Wedger unloads itself in the form of 3 1/2" diameter deaired logs.
- Vacuum Deaired: Each batch can be deaired by starting the vacuum pump when the load is mixed. Air is removed during the last stage of mixing, leaving an air-free product when pugged out. Our patented vacuum design allows us to deair the clay without the use of cumbersome vacuum screens!
- Sealed Chamber: Leaving moist clay in the Power Wedger is not a problem. All the openings are sealed so clay will stay moist indefinitely.
- Intellectual Mixing Technology: Real-time monitoring of clay consistency can be accomplished while mixing. Similar to an automatic transmission, the Pugger-Mixer can automatically speed up or slow down based on the hardness of the clay being processed. The operator can also control the speed by controlling the variable speed knob.
- Variable Speed Control: This allows the operator the ability to speed up or slow down the pugmill. This is especially useful when extruding through dies. Because of the back pressure generated by a large amount of clay being forced through a small orifice, the speed control allows the operator to slow the pugging as required. In turn, perfect deaired configurations are easily extruded through the Pugger-Mixer. There are additional advantages if you are a "single potter studio". The ability to slow the pugging allows for time to place pugged clay into containers or bags.
- On Wheels: The VPM-60 comes with 8" diameter wheels. It is easily transported for cleaning and storage.
- Work Surface: The motor and drive are enclosed for protection, cleanliness and safety. A stainless steel cleanable work surface is provided on top for convenience of the operator while loading.
- The Power Wedger is the most versatile studio clay processing machine on the market today. It can perform a variety of functions efficiently, transforming clay in any form to a usable product.
- Some examples:
- -Mix moist clay from powder and water.
- -Reclaim scrap - wet or dry (anything that has not been fired).
- -Blend two or more different bodies.
- -Add materials (wet or dry) to an already moist body.
- -Adjust moisture of an already wet body.
- -OR just warm the clay by mixing it.
- When the clay is adequately mixed, it can be deaired with vacuum and pugged out in the form of logs ready for use.
- It is not necessary to continuously hand-feed the Power Wedger as with standard pugmills. Load a full batch, close the lid and turn it on - this eliminates exposure to moving paddles. The Power Wedger shuts off automatically when the lid is opened. All machines are equipped with a thermal overload for protection against overheating.
- Vacuum is provided by a 1/2 HP double-headed rocking piston type diaphragm pump. These new technology pumps are the simplest and quietest vacuum source available. They are maintenance-free and long lasting. The VPM-60 Power Wedger does not require a large vacuum pump because the clay is continuously exposed to vacuum in the sealed mixing chamber. Once the clay chamber is evacuated, the vacuum pump can be turned off.
- The nozzle, intermediate cone, and mixing chamber on the VPM-60 are removable so they can be conveniently washed off. The blades are then easily accessed for cleaning. The VPM-60 is on wheels so it can be easily moved to a cleaning site.
- Since the machines are completely sealed, they can be left for long periods of time without the clay drying out. Cleaning is necessary only to avoid cross-contamination.