VPM-20 Stainless Steel Vacuum Power Wedger
When we said, "Let the machine do the work for you, we weren't joking!" Presenting Intellectual Mixing Technology (IMT)! Throw any combination of unfired clay into the machine, shut the door and hit mix. The machine now has the ability to provide real-time monitoring of the clay consistency as it is being processed in the machine. As the clay softens, the Pugger-Mixer responds by accelerating up to twice the speed as previously offered. Yes, we have the fastest cycles times on the market, but why stop there! Realtime monitoring of the clay, coupled with our patented vacuum deairing design, makes this machine the most capable studio processor available today.
It is not necessary to continuously hand-feed the Power Wedger as with standard pugmills. Load a full batch, close the lid and turn it on - this eliminates exposure to moving paddles. The Power Wedger shuts off automatically when the lid is opened. All machines are equipped with a thermal overload for protection against overheating.With the removal of four bolts, the entire cone section can be removed so it can be conveniently washed off. The paddles are then easily accessed for cleaning. Cleaning is necessary only to avoid cross contamination. Since the machines are completely sealed, moist clay can be stored indefinitely without drying out.
Cleaning is necessary only to avoid cross-contamination. Since the machine is completely sealed, it can be left for long periods of time without the clay drying out.
- Stainless Steel: Shaft, augers and paddles of stainless steel, along with aluminum mixing/pugging chamber, ensures rust-free clay processing.
- Large Hopper: The 7" x 7" hopper door opening allows for easy loading of up to 45 lbs. of clay per batch.
- Batch Mixing Capability: Full batch mixing and blending capability allows for moisture adjustment before pugging.
- Pugmill Output: Switch to PUG after a batch is completely mixed, and the Power Wedger unloads itself in the form of 3" diameter deaired logs.
- Vacuum Deaired: Each batch can be deaired by starting the vacuum pump when the load is mixed. Air is removed during the last stage of mixing, leaving an air-free product when pugged out. Our patented vacuum design allows us to deair the clay without the use of cumbersome vacuum screens!
- Sealed Chamber: Leaving moist clay in the Power Wedger is not a problem. All the openings are sealed so clay will stay moist indefinitely.
- Intellectual Mixing Technology: Real-time monitoring of clay consistency can be accomplished while mixing. Similar to an automatic transmission, the Pugger-Mixer can automatically speed up or slow down based on the hardness of the clay being processed. The operator can also control the speed by controlling the variable speed knob.
- Variable Speed Control: This allows the operator the ability to speed up or slow down the pugmill. This is especially useful when extruding through dies. Because of the back pressure generated by a large amount of clay being forced through a small orifice, the speed control allows the operator to slow the pugging as required. In turn, perfect deaired configurations are easily extruded through the Pugger-Mixer. There are additional advantages if you are a "single potter studio". The ability to slow the pugging allows for time to place pugged clay into containers or bags.
- Work Surface: The motor and drive are covered for protection, cleanliness and safety. A 12" x 16" cleanable work surface is provided on top for convenience of the operator while loading.
- Corrosion Resistant: Peter Pugger now offers a corrosion resistant model (optional) for potters using porcelain clay bodies with high alkalinity. Click here for more information "What you need to know about Porcelain"
- Optional Stand:This heavy duty stand has a shelf, and the height is adjustable. Wheels are included and can be installed on the motor end of the VPM-20 stand for easy transport.
- The Power Wedger is the most versatile studio clay processing machine on the market today. It can perform a variety of functions efficiently, transforming clay in any form to a usable product.
- Some examples:
- -Mix moist clay from powder and water.
- -Reclaim scrap - wet or dry.
- -Blend two or more different bodies.
- -Add materials (wet or dry) to an already moist body.
- -Adjust moisture of an already wet body.
- -OR just wedge a 25 lb. bag of clay - literally warm the clay by mixing it.
- When the clay is adequately mixed, it can be deaired with vacuum and pugged out in the form of logs ready for use.
- Vacuum is provided by a 1/2 HP double-headed rocking piston type diaphragm pump. These new technology pumps are the simplest and quietest vacuum source available. They are maintenance-free and long lasting. The VPM-20 Power Wedger does not require a large vacuum pump because the clay is continuously exposed to vacuum in the sealed mixing chamber. Once the clay chamber is evacuated, the vacuum pump can be turned off.